Rooting your OnePlus One represents an easy to perform operation, but only if you use the right step by step guide. There are various rooting methods available to root OnePlus one, but unfortunately some procedures are complex and suitable only for advanced Android users.
It is true that the guides available for this device are extremely large in quantity. Rooting OnePlus One is fairly easy, safe and does not require any prerequisite knowledge of Android OS internals, though having the knowledge of it would ease you to root OnePlus one with confidence.
Recently OnePlus released the latest Offical Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow update for the Oneplus one users. Most of the Rooted and Non-Rooted already updated their phone with this new update.
In case you are looking for a safe and explanatory tutorial, then you are in the right place. Thanks to those of xda-developers, we can now use a dedicated toolkit that will automatically root OnePlus One. Also, during the rooting process, you will be able to unlock the bootloader of your phone and to flash TWRP recovery, all in just a few minutes or even less.
Now, even though gaining root access is not official, the same process is quite important especially for those who want to use their OnePlus One on full potential. Basically, by completing this operation you will remove the factory and default restrictions from your device, each Android handset is coming pre installed with various restrictions which limits our access to the internal system of our smartphones or tablets.
Therefore, after ensuring rooting, you will be able to start tweaking your OnePlus One. Thus, you can start considering in applying operations such as: remove bloatware, install complex and custom apps, update with custom ROMs, flash custom kernels, over clock the CPU, optimize the performances, personalize the UI, upgrade the battery life or bump the speeds and lot more.
Your warranty is void if you root your phone with the given instruction in this guide. We the Gadgetsright or the developers are not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards. Therefore read all the instruction very carefully and perform everything at your own risk.
Requirements before rooting OnePlus One
Windows, Mac or Linux computer
ADB and Fastboot installed
USB data cable
“Developer options” enabled
How to root OnePlus One
Method 1: How to Root OnePlus One (Unlock Bootloader and Flash TWRP Recovery included)
- First thing to do, on your computer download and install the latest version of Java.
- So, go to thispage, download the package and install the same by following the on screen prompts, also close and reopen the web browser client you are using in order to properly complete the installation process.
- On your computer install Android SDK.
- Then, from thispage download the root toolkit for your OnePlus One.
- Save it on your computer; preferable on desktop.
- Run the executable file and install the tool on your computer.
- Run the same.
- Connect your OnePlus One with your computer by plugging in the USB cord.
- From the toolkit select “Enter Fastboot / Recovery Mode”.
- Choose “Enter Fastboot”.
- Select the “Unlock Bootloader” option.
- In the end your phone will automatically reboot.
Install TWRP Recovery
- From the toolkit tap on the “Flash” option.
- Choose the “TWRP” key.
- Wait while the installation process is completed and in the end head towards the following section of our tutorial.
Root your OnePlus One
- From the toolkit select “Boot” and choose “TWRP Recovery”.
- The recovery mode will be displayed; from there pick “reboot system”.
- Installing SuperSU will be then prompted; do the same.
- When it boots up, open the app drawer or pull down the notification bar and tap SuperSU Installer.
- Select “Play” and then “Update”.
- Choose “yes” and install binries.
- In the end go to Google Play and download the Root Checker app in order to check if your OnePlus One is unlocked or not.
This is a great job; you have successfully completed the root process of your OnePlus One with this method, now is unlocked.
Method 2: How to Root Oneplus One On Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow
- BACKUP YOUR ANDROID DATA
Do take the Full Backup of your Android Apps, SMS, Contacts, Call Logs, Bookmarks. This one is one of the most important steps that you have to follow, as we do not want anyone losing their personal data or apps.
- INSTALL ONEPLUS ONE DRIVERS
First you need to Setup ADB and Fastboot Drivers on windows PC. This will help you to sendbasic linux commands, and variety Android specific commands from PC to connected Android devices.
Now you need to install the USB drivers to connect your device with the computer to follow this guide. Without these USB drivers you can’t connect your device to the PC, first download and install these drivers on your system
- ENABLE USB DEBUGGING MODE
Now you need to enable USB debugging mode. Without enabling USB debugging mode on your device you will not be able to start the rooting, Custom ROM or Unlock process
- CHARGE YOUR ANDROID
If your device switched off during this process, it could damage or brick the device. Make sure that your Android battery is full charge or near about 50-70% battery level.
Root Oneplus One On Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow
1. Set up ADB and Fastboot on your computer. Once the Files are installed on your PC you will see the ADB folder on your Windows C DRIVE (C:/ADB)
- Now downlaod the Latest TWRP reocvery image here and rename it to reocvery.img. Place in the ADB folder that you created above.
- Download the SuperSU zip file here and save in your phone.
- Now boot your phone into Fastboot mode. TO do this Turn off your phone and hold volume down and the power button simultaneously for 5-6 seconds. When you see the bootloader screen, connect your device to the PC using a USB cable.
- Now check if fastboot is working correctly. It should provide the serial number of your device.
- Flash TWRP recovery on your OnePlus One by running the following command. fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- Boot TWRP recovery on your OnePlus One now. It is recommended that you do this manually by unplugging the USB cable and then pressing POWER + VOL down until the device boots. When the Oneplus logo shows up, release the POWER and keep holding down VOL DOWN until TWRP boots.
- To Root OnePlus One, tap on Install menu, and then browse and select your SuperSU, then Swipe to confirm the flash.
That is all about this method. Now your phone is rooted.
To make sure you have correctly installed the above rooting method and is working well, verify with Root Checker app from the google play store.